by Dr.Blossom Kochhar ,
Holi is a festival of colours and happiness. It is one such festival that brings out the child in us. The vibrant colours and the festive mood is enough to light up the atmosphere and enable people to enjoy. However, it is very essential that to ensure that we have a safe Holi.
During this festival we tend to use colours that have harsh chemicals, so first I would request you all to play Holi with Organic colours. The colours that are usually used during Holi can lead to skin allergies, rashes and damaged hair. According to me, the best way to play Holi is to play it with flowers. The aroma of different flowers makes a wonderful ambience and it is the safest way as well.
I would recommend you to follow a pre-holi regime for skin and hair care as under:
- Paint your nails bright as this will help you keep your nails and the cuticles safe from the harsh colours and the chemicals.
- Before going to play Holi, I would recommend you immerse your fingers in a mixture comprising of 1 tablespoon each of coconut oil and olive oil and 1 teaspoon of castor oil. This will help in keeping the colours from penetrating the cuticles of your fingers. This should be done for both fingers and toes.
- For protecting your lips while playing Holi, use a lipbalm or a lipstick so that it keeps the lips protected and moisturised at the same time.
- Make a mixture of 1 tablespoon each of coconut oil and olive oil and add to it a teaspoon of castor oil. Apply this mixture all over your skin before playing Holi. Make sure you apply it on the ears as well and the area behind the ears.
- If you wish after moisturising your skin thoroughly with oil mixture, you can apply sunscreen on your face.
- I would recommend you avoid putting any kind of make up while playing Holi with colours.
· Oil your hair from the scalp to tip of the hair the night before. Give your scalp a gentle massage before you sleep and repeat the process in the morning.
- Do not leave your hair open. Tie it into a ponytail or a bun and cover your head with a scarf.
Post Holi Skin Care:
· Do not scrub the colour off with soap. Use a cream based cleanser or you can even use oil for removing the colours, and then go for a bath. Apply a lot of moisturising cream to keep the skin hydrated.
· If the colours are still left on your skin you can follow any of the two recipes:
a.) Add 1 teaspoon of besan to 2 tablespoons of milk and make it into a paste. To it add a few drops of lavender essential oil. Apply this mixture on your skin. Then have a bath.
b.) Take 2 tablespoon of besan and sandalwood powder, to it add a tablespoon of orange peel and milk. Mix them together thoroughly and to this paste add 2 – 3 drops of sandalwood essential oil. Apply this mixture on your skin thoroughly and then have a bath.
Here are some great face packs that you can try at home-
· For oily skin: Make a paste of papaya, lemon juice and milk powder. Apply it on and leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse off.
· For dry skin: Mix a teaspoon of honey in half a mashed banana. To it add a pinch of sea salt, scrub for 10 minutes. Then rinse it off.
Skin care regime:
- Clean your skin morning and night using a cleanser
- Keep your skin thoroughly nourished by applying moisturiser
- You can either use an almond nourishing cream or a Vitamin E cream in the night for keeping your skin smooth and supple.
How to remove colour from hair
· Rinse your hair completely without using shampoo at first. Once the colours are removed, then you can wash them with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
· To revitalise your hair further, take yoghurt and mix a few drops of rosemary essential oil in it. Then apply it on the scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse it off.
Post Holi – Hair Care Tips:
Since your hair turns dry after the festival of colours is over, you need to put it through deep conditioning. I recommend the following recipe for post holi hair care.
- Take 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and coconut oil, to it mix 1 teaspoon each of castor oil, glycerine, vinegar, conditioner and your shampoo respectively. Apply the mixture on your hair and the scalp and leave it on for an hour and then rinse it off.