ASCI launches mobile app to curb misleading advertisements
June 17, 2015: Continuing with the mission to address misleading advertisements, Advertising Standard Council of India (ASCI) launches India’s first consumer complaint mobile App – ASCIonline, to provide consumer complaint services on a mobile app besides providing the facility online. The mobile app is currently available on android and iOS, the users can download the application from:
Playstore for Android users - https://play.google.com/store/
iTunes for iOS users - https://itunes.apple.com/in/
Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Narendra Ambwani, ASCI Chairman added, “One of the goals of ASCI is to provide convenient access for lodging complaint and hence this launch of mobile app. Today mobiles devices are more widely used compared to desktops. With growing use of smart phones consumers want apps to put power of doing transactions in their pocket. ASCIonline Mobile App is consumer friendly and can be freely downloaded. It will be very useful as one can track the status of the complaints which he or she registered on our portal with the help of the App.”
Key features of the App for Consumers:
1. Lodge complaint: Lodge complaints by simply providing advertisement details and objection. Users can also attach the files like image or video or YouTube link of that advertisement.
2. History: Check the history of all previously registered complaints with the latest status and all other details.
3. Complaint Tracking: Simply track the status of the complaints by providing the tracking code of the complaint.
4. Manage profile: Manage profile and contact details.
5. Push Notifications: Receive the automatic push notifications when status of your complaint gets changed.
6. No need to Login/Logout: It’s always on and connected.
About Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI)
The Advertising Standards Council of India is a self-regulatory organization for the advertising industry. Established in 1985, ASCI’s role has been acclaimed by various Government agencies. ASCI is recognized under ‘The Cable Television Network Rules, 1994’ which states that ‘No advertisement which violates the Code for self-regulation in advertising, as adopted by the Advertising Standard Council of India (ASCI), Mumbai, for public exhibition in India, from time to time, shall be carried in the cable service’. ASCI is now the “Executive Arm” of the Department of Consumer Affairs handling all complaints pertaining to misleading advertisements.
The Role and Functioning of the ASCI and its Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) is in dealing with Complaints received from Consumers and Industry, against Advertisements which are considered as False, Misleading, Indecent, Illegal, leading to Unsafe practices, or Unfair to competition, and consequently in contravention of the ASCI Code for Self-Regulation in Advertising.