1) Keep your spectacle lenses clean all the time: The lenses should be absolutely clean and clear to have unrestricted vision. Always carry a lens cleaner in your bag.
2) Always wear spectacles: Some people are careless about wearing spectacles or feel irritated by it and avoid wearing it. This careless approach can weaken the eyes further.
3) Always use impact resistant (polycarbonate) lenses for children: Since children spectacles are more prone to harm and scratches, impact resistant lenses work better for them.
4) Get your kids’ eyes checked before they join school: It is absolutely essential to check if your child needs vision correction before she steps into a new world of education and learning.
5) Repeat eye checks regularly: Eye checks for a child should be conducted when a child turns 1 year, 3 year and 5 years respectively; Squint in children should not be neglected, medical advice should immediately be taken. Even in case of adults who were spectacles, eye checks should be done every year to make sure if there has been a change in power.
6) Use spectacle lenses offering UV protection: Each year 3 million people go blind from prolonged UV exposure. But, while we all believe in wearing sunscreen for the skin, there is little concern about sun protection for the eyes. Lenses like Crizal UV Forte come with Sun Protection Factor (SPF) for the eyes.
7) To avoid eye strain, one should have a light source while reading: Never read in a dark room
8) Watch television at a proper viewing distance: Don’t stick your eyes into the televisions creen, keep a distance of at least 3 meters in a well- lit room.
9) Be careful if you have diabetes, hypertension: If you have diabetes or high blood pressure, make sure you go for periodic eye checks ups because these conditions make one susceptible to eye ailments.
10) Don’t read in a moving vehicle: Many of us have a habit of reading while on the go. However, it’s not advisable to read in a moving train or bus
11) Eat eye healthy diet: Eat Vitamin C (Oranges , Guava's, Papaya) & Vitamin A (Carrots , Dark Leafy Greens ) rich foods for healthy vision
12) Give your eyes a regular break: Reduce eye strain by taking a short break every hour when using an electronic device e.g Laptops, Desktops, Tablets, Smart Phones
13) Avoid self-medication for eyes and visit a qualified ophthalmologist: Never try to self medicate when suffering from eye irritation or allergy. Eyes are too sensitive to be taken lightly.
14) In case of any eye infection don't share towels, soaps: If you have an eye infection, keep your things separate from others. Do not share towels, soaps or even clothes with your friends to prevent infecting them.
15) Do not lie down and read: Always sit erect and read; don’t stick the book very close to your eyes.
16) Never wear uncomfortable eyewear: If you spectacles are heavy, loose or unsteady, they can become a pain. Always wear spectacles that are light and steady.
17) Avoid rubbing your eyes with hands: Hands are a big source of virus and bacteria as we keep touching around alien objects with them. Avoid rubbing them on to your eyes to prevent infection.
18) Sleep well: Lack of sleep can make the eyes looks swollen and puffy and in the long run cause dark circles. Get sufficient sleep to relax your body and mind.
19) Do not ignore allergies: If there has been an allergic reaction to the eyes, do not take it lightly. Visit a doctor if it doesn’t subside in 2-3 days.